Blog Reflection Quarter 4

Over this past year, I think I have evolved as a blogger. Fourth quarter, I have blogged about topics that relate to our class discussions and about my junior theme experience. Blogging has become not an assignment (as it started off as first quarter), but a way for me to think critically and reflect on our society and discussions we have in class, and stay updated on current events. I definitely feel more comfortable blogging now as opposed to first quarter.
My favorite blog post this quarter is "Facebook...for first graders" (5/21). Although I did not have as many blogs fourth quarter as previous quarters, I really liked this blog both because it pertains to the discussions we've had in class on the media and technological changes in our society, and because I actually felt very strongly about the topic. I think the idea of social networking for young children is very relevant and a little scary.
Overall, I have really enjoyed learning how to blog and become comfortable blogging :)

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Recess... with rules and a teacher


According to an article I read, in an elementary school in Newark, recess is no longer a break for the students - instead they spend the 30 minutes under the control of a recess coach, who, with a whistle around her neck, makes all of the kids participate in organized activities. No sitting, no relaxing, no "just talking with friends". Under this new program, implemented at Broadway Elementary School, injuries, bullying, and disciplinary referals are occurring less, as the children are no longer left alone to be excessively wild, hog equiptment, or fight. Supporters of the program advocate that it is helping children stay healthy and be social. Yet when I read this article, I didn't really think about these positive aspects of giving up recess for a more gym-like class. Instead, I feel like the definition of recess goes against the structure provided by the school's new program. Kids have to sit still all day, learn, and demonstrate appropriate behavior. They need time to relax without having to continue to participate under rules, in a structured recess period. What do you think? Do the benefits of this new program out way the negatives?

I thought about this idea of structure and how it applies to New Trier. I know that there are students here who go without lunch periods, take early bird classes and then fill their schedules to the brim with classes. New Trier even permits students to skip lunch (although they do not recommend it). I think that our school and our culture value structure, because it seems to equate with productivity. And not that its a bad thing - we absolutely need structure in our lives in order to function and thrive. But I also believe that people can be productive during brief unstructured periods, or breaks. Do you think this is true as it applies to our school and culture?

Picture: http://images.allmoviephoto.com/2001_Recess:_School%27s_Out/recess_school%27s_out_013.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you Katie, I think that having a structured recess has more negatives than positives. The first thought that came to mind was that it limits the creativity of kids. As a kid at recess, I would make up all sorts of fun games with my friends. But without freedom to play, kids won't be able to create. I think that having structured activities is a good idea if they are optional, that way no one feels left out. But to me recess was freedom and thats why I liked it.

    ReplyDelete