Blog Reflection Quarter 4

Over this past year, I think I have evolved as a blogger. Fourth quarter, I have blogged about topics that relate to our class discussions and about my junior theme experience. Blogging has become not an assignment (as it started off as first quarter), but a way for me to think critically and reflect on our society and discussions we have in class, and stay updated on current events. I definitely feel more comfortable blogging now as opposed to first quarter.
My favorite blog post this quarter is "Facebook...for first graders" (5/21). Although I did not have as many blogs fourth quarter as previous quarters, I really liked this blog both because it pertains to the discussions we've had in class on the media and technological changes in our society, and because I actually felt very strongly about the topic. I think the idea of social networking for young children is very relevant and a little scary.
Overall, I have really enjoyed learning how to blog and become comfortable blogging :)

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Santa who?


As soon as november rolls around, Christmas decorations are up in stores and malls - a friendly reminder to the world that the holidays are not far away, time to start buying. By the time that December comes, Santa Claus is visiting stores and children are happily sitting on his lap - a Christmas tradition. This year, people will be reminided that spring is coming with the appearance of the Easter Bunny in many stores. According to a Chicago Tribune Article, the "Easter Bunny is slowly and skillfully creating a comfortable throne for himself in America's shopping mall atriums". Becoming sort of an icon for spring, the bunny is used to attract customers, especially when Easter candy sales and clothing sales are down, as they are this year. To me, it seems like the Easter bunny has gone from being a part of an important religious holiday to a more universally accepted marketing ploy/icon. But this is not necessarily a bad thing, I guess. According to the article I read, Respect the rabbit: Easter Bunny creeping up on Santa’s mall turf, cultural anthropologist Pamela Frese thinks that "the Easter Bunny's popularity demonstrates how Americans have increasingly turned to malls as community centers, where people of all religious backgrounds can celebrate so-called civil-religious holidays together". So the Easter bunny, while getting people to spend more money and feel happy about spring, is unifying for communities. What do you think?

Another thing that I found that was interesting from the article was that it described the ways in which the Easter Bunny's look has changed throughout the years. During the Great Depression, the Easter bunny was illustrated as a factory worker, and during the Civil Rights era, the Bunny had brown fur. Given the struggles that our nation is facing today, what should the Easter bunny wear, or be physically depicted as?

Picture from:http://www.costumzee.com/view/wp-content/uploads/2009/03/easter-bunny.gif

1 comment:

  1. Personally, I have no specific preference as to what the Easter Bunny should wear or look like. I think that a cute, sweet bunny carrying a basket of eggs in its hand is fine. I do not believe that people's purchasing chocolate and candy takes away from the important holiday; it just adds to the fun. People can appreciate the essence of the holiday and at the same time have fun with an Easter Egg Hunt. Especially when small kids are involved, you want to entertain them so that they can appreciate the holiday even more.

    ReplyDelete