Blog Reflection Quarter 4

Over this past year, I think I have evolved as a blogger. Fourth quarter, I have blogged about topics that relate to our class discussions and about my junior theme experience. Blogging has become not an assignment (as it started off as first quarter), but a way for me to think critically and reflect on our society and discussions we have in class, and stay updated on current events. I definitely feel more comfortable blogging now as opposed to first quarter.
My favorite blog post this quarter is "Facebook...for first graders" (5/21). Although I did not have as many blogs fourth quarter as previous quarters, I really liked this blog both because it pertains to the discussions we've had in class on the media and technological changes in our society, and because I actually felt very strongly about the topic. I think the idea of social networking for young children is very relevant and a little scary.
Overall, I have really enjoyed learning how to blog and become comfortable blogging :)

Sunday, March 14, 2010

Everyone's doing it


It seems like teen pregnancy is becoming more and more apparent in the media - with the Secret Life of the American Teenager, The Pregnancy Pact, MTV's 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom, the once taboo subject of teenage pregnancy is now making itself comfortable in our American culture. Celebrities too, such as Jamie Lynn Spears and Bristol Palin, are also taking teen pregnancy public. For the most part, shows such as the Secret Life and 16 and Pregnant show the heart break and struggles with such challenges at a young age. These shows claim to work to educate other adolescent girls so they can make smarter, more informed decisions, and not limit themselves. Yet, by focusing so much on the issue, are we making something rare and inconvenient seem commonplace and normal? Or are these TV shows sending the message that 'yep, I can survive with a baby in highschool and If Ican do it, so can you'? I personally think it's good that we have gotten the issue out in the open, so it is easier for parents to have conversations with their daughters about the realities of sex and babies in highschool. And the fact that these series' show the messier and heartbreaking sides to the story is beneficial. But what I wonder if other people get the same message that I do.

1 comment:

  1. KATIE MALONEY= BEST BLOGGER EVER
    I STRIVE TO HAVE YOUR BLOGGING ABILITIES

    ReplyDelete