Blog Reflection Quarter 4

Over this past year, I think I have evolved as a blogger. Fourth quarter, I have blogged about topics that relate to our class discussions and about my junior theme experience. Blogging has become not an assignment (as it started off as first quarter), but a way for me to think critically and reflect on our society and discussions we have in class, and stay updated on current events. I definitely feel more comfortable blogging now as opposed to first quarter.
My favorite blog post this quarter is "Facebook...for first graders" (5/21). Although I did not have as many blogs fourth quarter as previous quarters, I really liked this blog both because it pertains to the discussions we've had in class on the media and technological changes in our society, and because I actually felt very strongly about the topic. I think the idea of social networking for young children is very relevant and a little scary.
Overall, I have really enjoyed learning how to blog and become comfortable blogging :)

Monday, December 7, 2009

Privacy and Youtube


This morning while eating breakfast, I was skimming the newspaper (Chicago Tribune) and saw an interesting Ask Amy Article: At a birthday party, a woman's ten year old son was filmed, and the video was posted on Youtube without the permission of parents of children at the party. The woman said that she called the family, expressing politely her unhappiness at the video, and then asked Amy whether or not she was mistaken in doing so.
Amy responded by saying that there is a difference between Youtube and National television, and that most likely, videos involving her son at a school concert or sporting event, or of him and his friends, would probably end up on Youtube someday too. And, she brought up a good point at the end, to, saying that the mom should take this opportunity to educate her son on the risks of sharing videos (privacy and safety issues).

This article made me think about the conversations regarding privacy we had in class. I'm split on this situation. On one hand, I think that it was not that big of a deal that a video from the birthday was posted on Youtube, such a huge site where the video was probably only posted so that others attending the party could see it. However, I can also see from a parents point of view and where the mom was coming from, in feeling like her and her son's privacy was invaded because they family did not ask permission. To be on the safe side, the family probably should have asked permission before posting. What do you think? Is it an invasion of privacy if a family posts a Youtube video of other kids without consulting the parents first?

picture from: http://www.dolphin.upenn.edu/pennband/img/youtube-logo.jpg

1 comment:

  1. I am also split on this issue. I think asking first would probably be the POLITE thing to do, but I'm not sure not asking is always an invasion of privacy. I really think it depends on what the content of the video is. For example, if it were a video of something extremely personal, then yes, it is an invasion of privacy. However, if it is something like video footage from a soccer game, I'm not sure why the parents would feel the need to complain.

    ReplyDelete