Blog Reflection Quarter 4

Over this past year, I think I have evolved as a blogger. Fourth quarter, I have blogged about topics that relate to our class discussions and about my junior theme experience. Blogging has become not an assignment (as it started off as first quarter), but a way for me to think critically and reflect on our society and discussions we have in class, and stay updated on current events. I definitely feel more comfortable blogging now as opposed to first quarter.
My favorite blog post this quarter is "Facebook...for first graders" (5/21). Although I did not have as many blogs fourth quarter as previous quarters, I really liked this blog both because it pertains to the discussions we've had in class on the media and technological changes in our society, and because I actually felt very strongly about the topic. I think the idea of social networking for young children is very relevant and a little scary.
Overall, I have really enjoyed learning how to blog and become comfortable blogging :)

Sunday, November 29, 2009

In the name of fame?


A few days ago, Sophie blogged about the couple (Michaele and Tareq Salahi) who broke into the White House to attend a fancy state dinner. They were able to get passed secret service and White House security, pretending that they were on the guest list. Today, I read a follow up article about the couple, "White House Intruders Want Money for Tale". Apparently, the want to become reality TV stars, and the break in was all a ploy for fame and money. According to the article, the couple "postponed plans for an interview Monday on CNN's 'Larry King Live' and were seeking top-dollar bids for their first television interview." The couple is waiting to see who bids the highest for an interview with them, part of their scheme to make big bucks off their White House escapade. Not only that, but this is not Michaele Salahi's first shot at fame: she also has a spot on "Real Housewives of D.C., the Bravo TV show".
After reading this article, I couldn't help thinking back to the Balloon Boy Hoax, and the parents who were so desperate for fame that they harmed their own son and lied to the public. There seems to be a trend of people lying in order to find fame. In my opinion, neither of these couples deserve fame, they haven't done anything worthy of appreciation from the public. Instead, they've just been embarrassments to our country. Why the sudden quest for fame? What makes reality TV show fame so appealing to people? Do you think this couple is worthy of our country's attention?

Picture from: http://www.fotosearch.com/bthumb/IST/IST500/ICN1031.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment